September 20, 2011

Wow Technology

Now I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to technology. Being 23 years old, I grew up with a computer (without internet or slow internet) a cell phone at a young age, & cable/answering machines. Yes, there was a time where my family didn't have cable or an answering machine. We were always the last to upgrade to new technology. Even with me growing up with all this new technology, we will still always a few years behind the world.

The first computer we had was an apple computer that was a black screen and had green text. I remember playing lemonade stand on the computer & some alien shooting game. We didn't get cable until I was in 6th grade which was unheard of. Most people had cable by the year 2000 but we got it for Christmas. Yes, there is a picture of me opening a box with a postcard about cable. I have a shocked look on my face. I almost cried. I couldn't wait to watch nickelodeon & the disney channel.  Other than our apple computer, my uncle built our first functioning computer where you could actually do more than play games. Along with that & getting the internet, we still had dial up forever. My parents would get so mad at me for keeping the phone line busy for 3 hours on end while I was chatting it up on AIM.  We finally got high speed internet when I was in high school.







     





I got my first cell phone when I was in 8th grade. Pre-paid good old Nokia. I had a hot pink sparkly cover & a clear one that lit up. It was cool to have different cell phone covers. You could switch them anytime you wanted! Those years since then have seemed to fly by when it comes to technology.

Imagine a bright pink sparkly cover :)


Virtually everyone has a laptop now. I'm on my second one already. Almost everyone has a camera & a good one at that. People have a new cell phone every year, an MP3 player, an e-reader, & the list goes on. How cool is it that you can control things in your house from your cell phone when you aren't there? I feel like everything is moving so fast & shhhhh I'm starting to feel old.

My students have grown up with all of this. They were born into the technology boom. Born between the years 1998 -1999, they pretty much always had cable, internet, cell phones etc. Yesterday we were talking about cell phones in class. A few students were telling me about a new phone they got & what they have. My students have the iphone! Whaaaaat??? They are 12 & 13! I don't even have a phone that fancy. Feeling old? I sure am.

I'm dreading the day they know more than me about technology.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same phone, except mine was blue like in the picture.

    I'm also liking your new header - what did you use to make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kim

    Hey Kim,
    Thanks! I actually used a tutorial I found on pinterest. You can find it here...

    http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2009/08/tutorial-on-how-to-make-blog-banner.html

    It was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete