August 2, 2011

Pinterest Challenge

So I stumbled across the Pinterest challenge from Sherry over at Young House Love.




Since I was new to blogging and pinterest, I wasn't quite ready to take on a challenge. Today was the deadline to have your challenge piece complete. I was looking around at all the things people made & came across a headband made out of t-shirts from this blogger who took on the challenge. I was intrigued and thought I could do that. Well I sure did! It wasn't very difficult at all although the final product was a bit bulkier than I would have liked. Here is a step by step when I remembered to take a picture....




1. Take 6 strips of t-shirts & sew three of them together so you have 2 long strips of 3 together


I first only used 2 strips but realized it wasn't long enough. 

2. Stretch the t-shirt strips so they curl up

Bubba was helping me out or trying to get me to play ball :)

3. Split the long strips up into thirds


4. Then fold those in half


5. So here is where I forgot to take pictures.... I followed these instructions from another blogger until I ended up with this!

This was when I realized two strips was short

With three strips. Much better!


6. Then I sewed all the strips together, added another piece of fabric by tying it together, then tying the two ends together by a connecting piece. The other blogs had a nice fancy way of securing it, but I was getting frustrated with the sewing machine & improvised. Here is the final result!





I tried to get some good pictures of how it looked on my head and that resulted in my own little photo shoot. 


I mainly got frustrated with the sewing machine because back in May I was making Brad's graduation present which is a t-shirt quilt of all his old Ohio State shirts since he got his bachelors and masters degree from there. (Also because he is a little obsessed with OSU) I stressed over this blanket. It took up my ENTIRE living room floor-with all the furniture moved. It will no doubt fit a king size bed once it is complete. I tried to complete it before his graduation but I didn't. I ended up working on it for literally 3 days straight and had a break down the day before graduation because the sewing machine was not my best friend and decided to make a lot of the borders crooked. 

Sorry for that long explanation, but as I was getting frustrated with the sewing machine & t-shirt strips that were from Brad's old t-shirts I thought back to this blanket below that still isn't finished. 




It has been sitting in the dining room since May (it's August) and I haven't touched it yet. Sorry Bradley! I'm going to try and fix it soon-hopefully before school starts! 






Wish me luck!!!!


Jenna


0 comments:

Post a Comment