August 23, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday

I'm Blog Hoppin' again to give some advice to new teachers! Since I am two days into being a second year teacher, I think I have some pretty good advice that is still fresh in my mind so here it goes....

1. Sleep... A lot. Because if you were like me you will be at school all the time
2. Don't stay at school all night like I did.
3. Make connections with your students quickly! They will be more likely to do what you ask them.
4. Think about how you would like your lesson if you were a student
5. Don't beat yourself up... there is a lot I wish I could have done but couldn't fit it all in.
6. Be organized! It will save your life and keep you sane.
7. Communicate with parents! If they have an issue, let them talk & get it all out before responding.
8. Go with your gut.... you are usually right
9. Ask questions! Most teachers will be more than willing to help
10. Try and have your lessons ready to go at least the night before-copies & everything. I couldn't always do this, but when I did I felt so much relief.

As always... HAVE FUN! If you are having fun, chances are your students will be too. They will like and respect you more when they do have to do the "boring" stuff because let's face it, we all have to one time or another.

Link on up with Blog Hoppin' for Teacher Week!

2 comments:

  1. I need to listen to your #1...I never get enough sleep and I know that only hurts me. That might be on my goals list for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list!! I love #10 because I have taught over 20 years and some days I am still working on that one!! My day goes so much smoother if I have stuff ready to go the night before.
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete