August 2, 2011

Where I've Been- Super long post

Sorry to all of maybe 5 people who read this blog that I've been MIA. So it was my intention to blog every day right? Yeaaah I've failed at that already. I'm trying to get organized before school starts up. I get my keys Monday so t-minus 6 days until I'll be basically living there trying to get everything ready for the school year. 


How in the world did I agree to go from teaching 4 classes a day & 2 lesson plans to 7 classes a day & 3 lesson plans? Well, it was that or not have a job because of cuts. Everyone says it will be less work---yeah right. I'm really excited about the new position though. It'll keep me busy, and I'll get to know my students much better since my classes will be smaller. Yes, it will be a bit more challenging I'm sure, but hopefully very very rewarding. I will get to do a lot more hands on activities this year which I'm super excited about. 


One change I'm not sure about is the time I will actually start teaching.  Last year, I had plan until 9:00 so I technically didn't have to be "ready" to teach until then. Well let me tell you what this year is a different story. Instead of 9:00, I teach right at 7:20. Now last year I was at school no later than 7:05 which was the required time, but now that I have to start teaching at 7:20, I'm going to have to plan everything a little better. Instead of leaving right around 2:30, I'm going to get everything ready the night before so when I come in the next day, I will be prepared.... New school year resolution? I think so. So to help me "wake up" and be ready, I have found a best friend in coffee and this new little purchase will be sure to help me out. Here is a photo of my coffee cup from last year....




It was alright... I couldn't drink my coffee on my 20 minute drive to work because it was too hot, but it lasted about 45 minutes once I got to school. 




Welcome new coffee cup! This is my new soon to be best friend each morning M-F. 


$8.99 at Meijer! Couldn't pass it up !


Here is a comparison of the two. That's a lot of coffee folks. 




Truth be told-I LOVE my job. I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I secretly can't wait for Aug. 22 :) What's only 2 days after school starts? Grad school classes... only one & a half more years!


Also, I'm no longer the "first year teacher" anymore. YAY!


________


This weekend Bradley splurged and bought some pretty awesome Reds tickets. Our seats were 5 rows from the visitors dugout! Now, Bradley doesn't like taking pictures, but let me tell you what, he became quite the photographer during this game. Here are a few pictures to document our awesome seats & Brad's photography.



































We had a great time even with the 90 degree heat. To top it all off? It was fireworks Friday! The game went into 13 innings so we didn't get to see the fireworks until about 11:30, but they were great!

____


Back in June, A fellow teacher and I volunteered at the public library book sale. Since we did this, we got a certificate that allowed us to shop FOR FREE at this awesome organization Crayons to Computers.  They allow teachers from low income schools to shop once every five weeks to get supplies for their students. If you are not in a low income school district (my district) you can volunteer to help out at the store or some other random opportunities. If you do that, you get a certificate to shop as well. Being fresh off the "first year teacher" title, we still don't have a lot of supplies for our students. Instead of spending all my hard earned money when I have bills to pay (I still spend a lot of it on my students though), this is a great option. After having lunch at my new found love of Noodles & Company, we headed down to the store. There were SO many people there since it was their first day of business for the upcoming school year. When we got there, we waited in line with a number and just waited for our cart! There are limits on things like crayons to make sure everyone can have some, but other than the limits you can package your stuff however you want as long as it fits in a shopping cart. I think we spent about an hour shopping. Here is what I ended up with yesterday! 






I know this cell phone picture makes it hard to see what I got, but it was a lot! This organization was so great. Everyone there was so helpful. They get all their supplies from donations. I encourage you to donate if you can! Click Here to check out their site & donate!

I think that's long enough for now. Hope you are having a great week :)


Jenna



0 comments:

Post a Comment